The School Board is made up of parents, staff and general members of the community.
The current School Board Members are:
Lucy Malins Chair, Julie Woodhouse, Janet Hunter, Robyn De Fraine, Steven Williams, James Sheldon, Jamee Brien, Cecilia Smith, Lesley Bryan, Krystal Kelly, Shelley Carter.
The Board is formed with the fundamental purpose of enabling parents and members of the community to engage in activities that are in the best interests of students and will enhance the education provided by the school.
Functions of the Board
The Board has the powers and duties:
to make recommendations in the following:
- establishing and reviewing from time to time, the school’s objectives, priorities and general policy directions;
- the planning of financial arrangements necessary to fund those objectives, priorities and directions;
- evaluating the school’s performance in achieving them; and
- formulating codes of conduct for students at the school
to make recommendations in consultation with students, their parents and staff on an appropriate dress code for students when they are attending or representing the school;
to promote the school in the community;
- charges and contributions for the provision of certain materials, services and facilities under section 99(4) of the School Education Act;
- extra cost optional components of educational programs under section 100(3) of the School Education Act;
- items to be supplied by a student for use in an educational program under section 108(2) of the School Education Act; and
- any agreements or arrangements for advertising or sponsorship in relation to the school under section 216(5) of the School Education Act.
to provide advice to the principal of the school on:
- a general policy concerning the use in school activities of prayers, songs and material based on religious, spiritual or moral values being used in a school activity as part of religious education; and
- the implementation of special religious education under section 69(2) of the School Education Act.
with the approval of the Minister or Director General, as the Minister’s delegate, to:
- take part in the selection of, but not the appointment of, the school principal or any other member of the teaching staff under section 129(2) of the School Education Act.
The Board cannot:
- intervene in the control or management of the school;
- intervene in the educational instruction of students;
- exercise authority over teaching staff or other persons employed at the school; and
- intervene in the management or operation of a school fund.
Butler Primary School Board Terms of Reference:
Please click here to view the Terms of Reference.